Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Reflecting back on the course, what are three major themes you would identify that connect the various topics discussed in this course

In reflecting back on the course there are three major themes that I would identify that connect the various topics discussed in this course which include biomolecules, DNA processes and metabolic reactions. Each of these three themes connect topics discussed in this course and my previous knowledge.

Biomolecules are organic molecules produced by living cells. They consist primarily of hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen and oxygen. Carbohydrates, proteins, lipids and nucleic acids are all examples of biomolecules. Carbohydrates are the key biomolecule essential to the body for energy production and metabolism. Proteins are composed of amino acids, proteins as enzymes catalyze reactions like metabolism in organisms. Lipids and proteins together make up membranes of cells. Nucleic acid happens to be the biomolecule that makes up DNA. Most of these concepts I have previously acquired knowledge about however, biochemistry has allowed me to tie them together.

Eukaryotic and prokaryotic DNA processes are a main theme in biochemistry which include subcategories such as DNA replication, transcription and translation. In genetics I had previously learned that DNA replication is the basis for biological inheritance and essential for all living organism to copy their DNA. Transcription is the process of RNA synthesis, where an RNA copy is made from a sequence of DNA. Translation is the process in which the mRNA, produced in transcription, is decoded to form polypeptides which will eventually fold to become an active proteins.

Metabolic reaction are continuously occurring in living organisms and need biomolecules such as carbohydrates to proceed. In biology I had gained knowledge on related topics such as glycolysis and the citric acid cycle which involve the metabolism of glucose and production of ATP. Storage mechanisms and Lipid metabolism are also important in metabolic reactions.

2 comments:

  1. Very good post I especially find it very interesting what you chose as your 3 major themes as mine are completly different but I would say I also completly agree with what you have picked. I especially like how you chose biomolecules as one of your main points as I think that is really a major theme that I completly over looked as carbohydrates and nucleic acids are a huge part of biochemestry. But again good job with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I wrote about those three as well. Except I just talk proteins for bio-molecules. I like yours better, I think I'm gonna copy/paste it and use it for mine. All kidding aside, these three topics have been the center stage for what have learned this year. It seems each week there has been a handful of new bio-molecules and metabolic functions to learn. Good job on the blog.

    ReplyDelete